The Mattereum Smart Property Register is an open source, decentralized solution for digital control of real world assets.
How it works:-
- Legal entities which comply with the Mattereum Protocol - implementing the governance standards and technical measures - can become "automated custodians", or registrar nodes.
- These entities on-board assets by:
- creating an "asset passport" that records validity of title, valuation and other provenance information, along with the asset's governance rules;
- becoming the legal owner of the asset. Ownership rights are unbundled, separating out legal title from financial beneficial interests, other contractual claims, possession and use - which can then be tokenized and controlled on-chain;
- updating the global Smart Property Register in respect of that asset, maintaining the authoritative record of the asset's legal status, including all active smart contracts, tokens, and rules governing the asset's maintenance and use.
- The registrars recognise, implement and enforce authorised instructions to deal with assets strictly in accordance with their respective governance rules and the Mattereum Protocol.
- Where contracting parties have agreed that their obligations will be secured against registered assets, registrars will recognise and enforce an arbitration award directly against the assets.
To learn more, please read our summary white paper.